top of page
Marlon Lewis

Marlon Lewis

Birth date:

March 14, 1977

Death date:

December 15, 2016

Age at Death:



Marlon Bryan Lewis was born in Albemarle, North Carolina to the late Josh and Cleo Lewis. He received his education in the Stanly County School System and graduated from Salisbury High School. He attended Clinton Junior College in Rock Hill, S.C. and Johnson C. Smith University in Charlotte, NC. He was employed with A+ Tree Service in Monroe, North Carolina. He married Heidi Vanhoy Lewis and they were the parents of Joshua Lewis and Elijah Daniels. Marlon had a contagious smile and loved his family dearly. He was affectionally known as “Number 9” in reference to his high school football jersey number and “Uncle Brother” by his nieces and nephews. He spent most of his time with family, friends and loved ones. He loved the game of football and loved his boys with all his heart. Marlon had a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. He was a member of Spirit and Truth in Albemarle, NC. He is survived by a wife, two sons; four sisters; a brother; brother in-laws; a father in-law, and mother in-law and many other family members. One of his former high school teachers wrote this on his memorial page: "Words cannot adequately express the sincere sympathy extended to you. I knew Marlon years ago when he was a student at Salisbury High School. I remember his pleasant personality and ear to ear smile. He worked hard in the classroom and on the football field. He was a pleasure to teach. I was in total shock to learn of his untimely and unexpected death. Please know you will continue to be in my prayers. Please make sure his children know what a wonderful human being their father was. Source: and

Mr. Lewis suffered a cardiac arrest and died while fighting with police officers. Around 4 a.m. the morning of December 15, a Badin, North Carolina officer responded to a call for assistance from Mr. Lewis, the victim, who said someone was chasing him. Upon arrival, the officer got out of the patrol car and was attacked by Mr. Lewis, who the officer reported was highly agitated. Back up was requested and two sheriffs arrived. Note the same man who made the call for help ended up dying. Police reported the officer tried to tase Mr. Lewis as a fight ensued between the two, the taser or tasers were deployed but had no effect. As Mr. Lewis was restrained and handcuffed, he went into cardiac arrest. EMS responded, but were unable to revive him. Police say Mr. Lewis claimed someone was trying to kill him.

Was justice served?

No. Mr. Lewis' family filed a lawsuit over his death as he was tased 26 times during the encounter with law enforcement. The lawsuit filed alleged two tasers were fired 26 times in the encounter, in less than 5 minutes, amounting to excessive force. The suit seeking damages of at least $250,000 names the Stanly County sheriff, two deputies and Axon Enterprise, the company that makes Tasers. The lawsuit contends that Axon knew that the models used produce charges that are more powerful than is safe. The lawyer for the deputies, says officers showed restraint since Mr. Lewis repeatedly grabbed for their holstered guns. An autopsy found Mr. Lewis died from cocaine toxicity, not electrical shocks. As of April 2020, no known outcome of the lawsuit is published.

bottom of page